Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 4th October 1977. Charlton 4 Brighton 3

2»

Comments

• Options
    I was 1 then, would love to have gone football in that era
  • Options

I nearly went head first down the steps at The Covered End when we got our winner, was 14 at the time. One of my favourite CAFC games of all time.

• Options
    A game that had everything - including one contributor on here being hit on the nut by a light bulb flung out of a train by a Brighton fan at the station.

A truly classic game of football.
  • Options
    I blame that light bulb for my disappointing A level results!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Sorry to bump this randomly but my Mother died last week and rather than do a RIP thread because she had little interest in football other than following our scores from her armchair,I would like to be positive and share my story from the most memorable game that she attended.

By 1977 I was 11 and my support for Charlton had taken hold to the extent I had a season ticket and when my Dad's shifts did not allow him to take me my brother or a neighbour stepped into the breach.I can't remember the exact reason why but on a few occasions it was left to my Mum to attend with me.

I remember this game because it was one that she took me too and she shared the excitement.I particularly remember her telling me not too worry when we went 3-2 down because she always believed that Charlton would win as she had never seen them defeated.

All through my life she enjoyed telling relatives the story of how upset I became when I thought we might lose and how she always had kept the faith that night.

Thanks Charlton Life for doing these threads which remind us of the various golden eras and glorious games which we all have experienced.These in their own way mean so much to each of us and I love hearing everyone's personal stories.

RIP Mum and thank you for encouraging and tolerating my Addicktion that night.
  • Options
    What a great mum and may she rest in peace RJ.

Btw my mum was always convinced we would lose, tbh she was mostly correct!
  • Options
    It was one of the biggest 19k crowd I have ever been in. Nearly as big as the 25k v Palace a couple of seasons earlier, when it took me 20mins after kick off to get in.
    We would have to have 2/3 to a seat nowdays if we had 19ks like that again.
  • Options

It was one of the biggest 19k crowd I have ever been in. Nearly as big as the 25k v Palace a couple of seasons earlier, when it took me 20mins after kick off to get in.
    We would have to have 2/3 to a seat nowdays if we had 19ks like that again.

This
  • Options
    Probably the greatest home match experience of my young Addick supporting life. Remember being carried with the crowd out of the Covered End my feet hardly touching the ground.
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/8595381758

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks Keston for this memory, sorry to hear of your loss Richard J..........this was reproted as 19,000 crowd but was much more, the same as the crowd on the following Saturday against Tottenham when they tried to say it was 30,000, lol. There were 25,000 on the East Terrace alone for that game when Mick(Flash)Flanagan destroyed them that day!
  • Options
    yes I was on the east terrace half way up by the halfway line ...normal spot for me around that time

great atmosphere that night ....I remember the ref didn't like Jeff wood jumping up and shaking the crossbar before the penalties

great game great atmosphere ...somewhat surreally the actor who played Duffy in the Fenn Street Gang was stood next to us wearing brighton colours ...thankyou Richard J may your Mum rest in peace
  • Options
    lolwray said:

yes I was on the east terrace half way up by the halfway line ...normal spot for me around that time

great atmosphere that night ....I remember the ref didn't like Jeff wood jumping up and shaking the crossbar before the penalties

great game great atmosphere ...somewhat surreally the actor who played Duffy in the Fenn Street Gang was stood next to us wearing brighton colours ...thankyou Richard J may your Mum rest in peace

Peter Cleall.
  • Options
    An incredible game...and i still think would be going on today if Wood kept saving Hortons penalties.....it was end to end stuff and was what watching Charlton was about in those days.
  • Options
    No apologies for bumping this one!
  • Options
    Probably my favourite game from the 70s, alongside the PNE promotion game and the demolition of Chelsea. (and subsequent demolition of the turnstiles)

• Options
    lolwray said:

My usual spot back in the day. Me and about 5 others (with assorted kids). A wonderful game, followed by that whipping of Spurs.

• Options
    Bump. One of my all time favourite games. Covered End was immense that night. Would pay loads to be transported back to that game. 

Hopefully the forthcoming cup game provides a similar memory. 
  • Options
    It was a sensational evening of football at the Old Valley.
  • Options
    Still think this is the best Charlton game I have ever send, and I have seen quite a few of the classic matches often discussed 
    No I was not at the 7-6 match. That would have been impossible 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think think the following night I went to West Ham v Middlesbrough to see Derek Hales debut for the ammers. Went off injured if my memory serves me well.