Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

XBOX LIVE

edited September 2007 in Not Sports Related
How easy is it setting this up anyone know.

My son is driving me mad about it. I have wireless broadband at home and I know there is a thing you buy to put in the back but they are £60 bloody pound so is there a cheaper way of doing it - can I do it with wire. I am not the greatest with these things bad enough just setting up wireless broadband took me for ever.

No snide comments Medders please - if you can't help don't comment.

Comments

• Pffffftttt. Can I suggest you put it all back into the box, and take it back to the shop for a refund... ;-)

Xbox or Xbox 360?
  • It's a piece of piss to set up. both the 360 and PS3 have a great online systems which are plug in and go, no messing around with adding programs or anything. You might need some security details but thats it really.

You can use a standard ethernet cable from you Xbox into your wireless router (the wireless box thingy). But if you don't want cable running round the house then you're fine with the £60 attachment. Some complain that the speed of data transfer can drop if the wireless signal isn't great (which is no different to a PC)

Live will cost about £40 a year, plus if he wants to download games it'll cost him a little more each time
  • T, is that right mate, it needs a £60 add-on to go wireless? Microsoft are such a rip off! £60 for wireless, £40 a year.... How much does the PS3 cost to go wireless and online? Nowt....
  • How much does a PS3 cost? How much does a 360 cost?
  • Based over, say 3 years ownership, I'd reckon about the same....
  • Pretty similar prices when you compare them properly...

An Elite is probably on par with the PS3 (Both have HDMI ports...although the 360 lacks the Blu Ray drive but has a slightly bigger HDD) with the £60 add on for wireless + £40 for LIVE thats pretty much the same price as the PS3 is retailing for... if you want to get finicky and want HD DVD playback you're talking about the 360 costing more to do the same thing than the PS3.

What the 360 does offer you is a choice you can pick and choose the elements you want.
  • Fair comment T, but surely you'd want HD playback, HDMI etc to get the full benefit?
  • i've downloaded paperboy, turtles arcade, track & field and double dragon for the xbox360 and probably play them more than other games.

that reminds me, Halo 3 out today!
  • edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]that reminds me, Halo 3 out today!

They were selling it in Sainbury's at the weekend of £40. My brother in law bought 3 and sold 2 on Ebay on a buy it now for £60...
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]that reminds me, Halo 3 out today!

They were selling it in Sainbury's at the weekend of £40. My brother in law bought 3 and sold 2 on Ebay on a buy it now for £60...

That would be pretty clever, seeing as it didnt get released until midnight today....!!
  • a couple of supermarkets released by mistake medders - keep up
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]a couple of supermarkets released by mistake medders - keep up

XBOX news just doesnt interest me mate...
  • Sod halo 3 fifa08 is out on friday!
  • People who play Computer games really need to grow up :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]People who play Computer games really need to grow up :-)

wow, the most un geeky comment of them all! ( i hope your not joking tho ketmarn) i hate compooter consools!
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]People who play Computer games really need to grow up :-)

Says the man who drives an S3... (ie mid-life crisis)

;-)
  • Whats' wrong with being 37, wearing earing's, driving a sports car & DJ'ing then .....oh I see what you mean :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Whats' wrong with being 37, wearing earing's, driving a sports car & DJ'ing then .....oh I see what you mean :-)

LOL.
  • You know where my loyalties lie... :-)

Bloke in the office here just bought an Elite £299 + HD DVD player for the 360 £120, but said the PS3 was to expensive... he couldn't understand it when i laughed at him!
  • Sponsored links:

• 360> PS3, the online play on a ps3 is laggy and there are no great games coming out exclusively to ps3, so stick with the 360. And to set up with online its a piece of piss, just plug the ethernet cable into the 360( at the back) and then connect the other end to your router. Then just sign up to xbl, they'll give you a step by step walkthrough, and your son will be pwning n00bs in no time lol. Anyone on here have XBL?
  • WSSWSS
    edited September 2007
    i do banknote.

GlennCAFC if you want to add me

i'm such a geek
  • GOBBLEDYGOOK THE LOT OF YA
  • Is this Lifers strutting around givin it too each other or have I got the wrong end of the stick. Are you gonna bash each other up on Boxing games or hold hands playing the Simms ?
  • The 360 is worth getting for gears of war alone, in my humble honest opinion.

Although the ps3 does have the wonder that is Pro Evo.
  • I have XBL: Choru85
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Is this Lifers strutting around givin it too each other or have I got the wrong end of the stick. Are you gonna bash each other up on Boxing games or hold hands playing the Simms ?

I'm gonna bash that Andy Edwards... he's sh*t on the left....
  • [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]You know where my loyalties lie... :-)

Bloke in the office here just bought an Elite £299 + HD DVD player for the 360 £120, but said the PS3 was to expensive... he couldn't understand it when i laughed at him!

LOL classic! Knowing where you work, that's even more worrying!
  • edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: banknote[/cite]360> PS3, the online play on a ps3 is laggy and there are no great games coming out exclusively to ps3, so stick with the 360. And to set up with online its a piece of piss, just plug the ethernet cable into the 360( at the back) and then connect the other end to your router. Then just sign up to xbl, they'll give you a step by step walkthrough, and your son will be pwning n00bs in no time lol. Anyone on here have XBL?

no good games comming out!!?!?!?! your avin a laugh!

PES2008, golden axe HD, fight night3, GTA,

And the online play on the ps3 isn't laggy it is superb. if you have a pc there really is no point buying a console made by Microsoft because all the games you can get on the pc anyway. plus 2000 Xbox 360's a day go back due to overheating FACT!
    i was in game-station the other day and there was a bloke shouting at the shop assistant with his 360 in bits all over the counter...... did i chuckle! ;-)

[cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Is this Lifers strutting around givin it too each other or have I got the wrong end of the stick. Are you gonna bash each other up on Boxing games or hold hands playing the Simms ?

I'm gonna bash that Andy Edwards... he's sh*t on the left....

im waiting for you! just txt me when you have got the game and i reckon you wont last 1 round!
  • I have both and both have their respective merits.

In the future though - PS3 will reign supreme