Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Antigallican questions

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
Has it been done up?
Is it open again?
Why is it called that and do they serve French fries?

Comments

• Options
    Yes it has been done up and is open for business.

I got a lovely card through the door inviting me down for a free drink with that leaflet... think they're now doing food.
    have not yet been in yet so cannot comment tho it does look like theyve done a lot of work.
  • Options
    he was the details of what was on offer

http://www.pubs2let.co.uk/leases/antigallican.html
  • Options
    real charlton fans were born within 30 feet of that pub.FACT.
  • Options
    All TRUE Charlton fans were conceived in that pub.
    FACT.
  • Options
    This is from fancyapint.com - need I say more?!!!

The Antigallican squats on the corner of Woolwich Road and Charlton Church Lane. Apparently the official away supporters' pub on match days, this may add to the feeling that the Antigallican is slightly a pariah pub and a place for outcasts. Inside it's not much to write home about, unless you want to tell home you're in a truly awful pub. The selection of beers isn't very exciting, and there's wine on tap. Really. One best to avoid - just five minutes' walk up into the Village there's the charming White Swan and Bugle Horn, and ten minutes down towards the river, there's the Anchor and Hope. Therefore, there is no good reason to go to this pub.

Oh yeah, out of a scoring range of one to five pints they give it an empty glass!!!
  • Options
    it has its own website now as it was on the leaflet but cantremember it, will have a look tonight so you can see pics of the new internal decor.
  • Options
    The card that was sent to locals in the area is www.antigalliganhotel.com however this does not seem to be up and running yet.Yes it looks ok,spoiling the away fans though
  • Options
    Has always been truly awful, though Swan and Bugle Horn are not much better the Bugle being slightly less likely to smell bad by 6 in the evening. The last time I went in the Anchor the Lager was rank, if they can't get that right... But it does have a decent view. The only decent pub in Charlton is the Pilot and I fear that may be in SE10.

Oh and AntiGallican does mean French Hater oh for a UEFA Cup game against a French team at the Valley.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    [cite] Salad Spinner:[/cite]
    Why is it called that....?

I think the Antigallican used to be a really common pub name. Can't find a link and I'm not exactly sure of details but I'm sure I read once that it was common as lots of pensioned soldiers who'd been fighting in the Napoleonic wars would use their military payouts to open public houses. Summat like that anyway.
  • Options
    Antigallican means literally anti-gallic/anti-french...