Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The programme

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
Who on here regularly buys this?

I must confess, I'm a bit of a "collector" (stop laughing at the back) and am only missing a dozen or so home programmes for the last 40 years or so, but I just can't bring myself to read it these days.

I know ours regularly wins awards, so maybe it's just the current results that have got me on a downer, but it's less and less like a programme and more and more like some over-inflated old tosh where the same old stuff gets trotted out and things get written just for the sake of filling some space.

And as for the picture on the cover on Saturday, Jeez - I thought I'd bought a copy of "Gangsta Rapper Weekly" or something. What the f*** was that all about?!!

How about a 16 page programme for a £1 - cutting out all of the old tosh about the womens team, etc???

Comments

• Options
    A lot of the problem these days, is that you've already read the stories a week earlier on the internet......
  • Options
    i saw the front cover of this weeks edition over someones shoulder on saturday.

jeez, who's idea was that?? he looked like a complete knob.
  • Options
    I still kind of collect them. Well put them in a box and in the loft at the end of each season. I make you right though, I take it in turns to buy one with the Father-in-law, he reads it and/or takes it home and sticks it through my letter box when he's done. Sometimes I don't even open it, just file it.
    Like Medders said, most of it is old news for internet users.

I thought it was Ali G in the front cover bruv innit ! Blingtastic mate!
  • Options
    Gave up buying it this season, couldn't justify the £3 outlay, and got wound up by a "fan focus" interview with some twerp from Hastings who used to be a Chelsea fan but switched to us in 2000.

To be fair, though, our programme is still leagues ahead of most other Premiership clubs' shoddy offerings, even if it is starting to feel more and more irrelevant and out of touch.
  • Options
    It's also now so big, and square, that you can no longer roll it up and shove it in the back pocket of your jeans. I actually dumped mine on the train on the way home on Saturday as I couldn't be bothered to carry it any longer.
  • Options
    I buy it out of habit more than anything also the daughter has decided she wants to collect them.

Hate the new square shape though.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    can anyone explain why they might think the square design would be appealing ? there is no logical answer ?

is it cheaper to print that way ?
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I buy one a season- the last home game- that way i have a programme that gives me (nearly) all the scores of the season.

Pointless otherwise- heard all the news well b4- and at £3x19- £57 for not a lot!
  • Options
    Has anyone else noticed that it's now the "Match Day Magazine" rather than a good old "programme"?
  • Options
    All part of the justification for making it bigger, filling it with more old cack and charging more.

Everyone I know would be happy with something a third of the size for a pound. I mean, what exactly do you really need in a programme???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is the same size and shape as Man Utd's programme, delushions of granduer? Also apart from th odd game you can buy a perfect programme a few years later for 50p! Even our 1930's programmes have no real value.
  • Options
    I hadn't bought a programme for 2 seasons, started to buy them again this season for something to read on the train, but you are right, I've read most of the stuff on the internet in advance, so, I didn't buy one on Saturday :-)
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Suzi

Horses for courses. What JT had on wasn't my taste, but wasn't bad, wasn't offensive ... yet you call him a knob?

Blimey ....
  • Options
    No mate she said he "looked" like a knob. Bit different
  • Options
    i just thought 'Goldie Lookin Chain'
  • Options
    "Father-in-law, he reads it and/or takes it home and sticks it through my letter box when he's done." - by Stone.

Can I take it from that line Stone, that your father in law isn't allowed in your house?
  • Options
    Can I take it from that line Stone, that your father in law isn't allowed in your house?

Prolly the other way around...
  • Options
    Looks like a knob, is a knob ..... thats clutching at straws.

How can he be Goldie Looking Chain .... he's not Welsh.
  • Options
    i'm sure he's a very nice chap.

there are plenty of people that look like knobs, who aren't actually knobs, as there are plenty of people who look like knobs, who are knobs. what is your point?
  • Options
    What does a knob look like?

How do you class a knob?

Just intersted in how by wearing something that isn't to your taste someone gets brandished as a knob?

Its interesting ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    someone's called you a knob today because you're wearing flip flops and a straw hat, haven't they ???
  • Options
    ric, probably different reasons for you calling someone one. brandished a knob? please define your use of 'brandished'

i thought this board was about opinions and lighthearted comments not about backing up opinons with facts and justifications to make throw away jokey unimportant comments - boring, pointless and serious.
  • Options
    it is Suzi, think Ric needs a dose of Body Attack to work off his frustrations.
  • Options
    Hmmmm .... strange. It's something I'm actually interested in. If someone wears a shirt that you don't like he's a knob.

Oh now I see .... silly me ...
  • Options
    Oh sorry also brandish as in display ostentatiously ....or in reality branded as in branded .... my mishtake ....
  • Options
    [cite] Riscardo:[/cite]Hmmmm .... strange. It's something I'm actually interested in. If someone wears a shirt that you don't like he's a knob.

Oh now I see .... silly me ...

whats more interesting to me is that you've taken a comment, changed it, and now picking holes in it, when its not something i've actually said.
  • Options
    [cite] suzisausage:[/cite]i saw the front cover of this weeks edition over someones shoulder on saturday.

jeez, who's idea was that?? he looked like a complete knob.

Changed it???? He looks like a complete knob!!!!! I'm not picking holes in your quote I was wondering why that was?
  • Options
    alright mr exclamation mark.

calm down.
  • Options
    Well I do love an exclamation ....
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Jerome Thomas did indeed "look like a knob" in that picture. Nothing to do with his personality I'm sure - never met the bloke so can't say - but he did look like a knob.

The beauthy of using a word like "knob" is that everyone has their own definition and criteria for determining "knobness".