Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bruised Ribs

edited September 2007 in Not Sports Related
Hi Peeps

Bit of advise really....... I had an accident on the coach home last night (Own stupid fault for not having my seatbelt on!) driver had to break hard and I feel off the front seat and sideways hit the bar in front into my ribs (ribs took the full force as I didn't have time to put my hands out) - feeling very fragile today and hurting like hell!

Anyone know the best thing to take (Painkillers) I know there is nothing that can be done for ribs so no point in going to the doctors.

Ta

Mx

Comments

• There is a ibuprofen based gel called ibulieve ( I think ) that always works well on strains and pulled muscles. Rotate applying that with the odd Nurofen tablet and you should be fine.
  • i've got some spare ribs from my chinese last night if that helps

(hope you're ok ;-))
  • Get an xray done, if you can get to A and E around 8 this evening, you'll probably stroll straight through
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]i've got some spare ribs from my chinese last night if that helps

(hope you're ok ;-))

now is not the time for gentle ribbing....
  • I prescribe

6 measures of a strong liquor such as Absolut or Dark Rum

Match that with four/five pints measures of Guiness/Stella/Hurlemanns and you will feel fine.

Repeat until pain has gone away
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]i've got some spare ribs from my chinese last night if that helps

(hope you're ok ;-))

now is not the time for gentle ribbing....

LOL - well little chuckle as anything else hurts too much!

[cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I prescribe

6 measures of a strong liquor such as Absolut or Dark Rum

Match that with four/five pints measures of Guiness/Stella/Hurlemanns and you will feel fine.

Repeat until pain has gone away

Thanks Hun - I'll try that - not sure work would appricate it though! :o)

Joking aside I think I'll just try the Nurofen and see how I go - I don't like hosptials at the best of times so I'll see how I go.

Thanks
  • You don't want to take painkillers like neurofen and ibuprofen for too long. If they do the job short term fine but you could try Arnica gel as a homeopathic alternative. An oldie but a goodie.
  • sorry to hear that Maria, sounds rough. You should knocked out the driver tho!

I concur about the ibuprofen gel stuff, when i last dislocated my shoulder a few weeks ago i used it for the first time! It is effing brilliant. But as peanuts says try arnica, its a remedy that my old Ma always has since i was a kid, and i have quite a clumsy brother too (not morts genius from charlton life, one of my other bro's) and he was always using it to good affect.

failing that come and see me for some aromatic cigarettes, they'll see ya right!!
  • At Hospital all Muscular Skeletal injuries are treated with Anti Inflammatory's & or pain killers & nothing else. You could try laying it on thick at work & get a couple of days rest in Bed!
  • Be careful once it starts to feel better though.

I did it a few months ago and it doesn't take much of a knock to put you back to square one. Sometimes it's not just the ribs but the chest lining and muscle tissue also and these can take a while to heal properly.
  • Sponsored links:

• I tell ya i had 3 cracked ribs in may when knocked off my bike and it is THE worst pain I have ever had.

Ibuprofen will take the edge off

There is a stronger painkiller I was given which is prescription Solpadol but was the mutts nuts
  • voltarol gel is good, the tablets had me throwing up tho.
  • Maria, strange you should say that, as a similar thing happened to the ticket collector on our coach yesterday. She was stood in the aisle collecting tickets, coach brakes hard and she goes flying. Done her back and leg in... No doubt she'll be going for a personal accident claim...

Do you not get Private Medical Insurance at your place?
  • Without sounding like I'm unsympathetic, I bet the ticket collector going airbourne was really funny in a getting told off at school kind of way??
  • Mate, it was hilarious! She was walking towards the back of the coach at the time, so ended up stumbling backwards, before going over.... best way to describe it is the same as that ref that got pushed over by Di Canio.....
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Maria, strange you should say that, as a similar thing happened to the ticket collector on our coach yesterday. She was stood in the aisle collecting tickets, coach brakes hard and she goes flying. Done her back and leg in... No doubt she'll be going for a personal accident claim...

Yeah I do get Bupa - but not much point in going to see anyone really as they won't be able to do much with ribs... I was only thankful I wasn't doing the tickets when it happened as I would have ended up looking like Garfield stuck to the front window!!

As I said before It was my own fault for not having a seat belt on sitting at the front - so no claim for me...

Thank you all for your kind words and help - I'll pop out to Boots in a bit and get some gel and Ibuprofen -

Peanuts, I won't take for too long!

Mx
  • [cite]Posted By: MariaCAFC[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Maria, strange you should say that, as a similar thing happened to the ticket collector on our coach yesterday. She was stood in the aisle collecting tickets, coach brakes hard and she goes flying. Done her back and leg in... No doubt she'll be going for a personal accident claim...

Yeah I do get Bupa - but not much point in going to see anyone really as they won't be able to do much with ribs...

No, but at least they could send you for an x-ray now, without waiting 4 hours in an A&E... at least then you'd know if you had any rib damage...
  • Cocodemal are good ones if you want pain killers....
  • Maria, I feel your pain.

A good few years ago, during a footbal match at Eden Park, I managed to crack three ribs, break one and puncture the lung into the bargain. easily the most pain I've ever been in both at the time and the subsequent weeks after.

I disagree though about the hospital, although your right with the exception of pain kilers, there's nothing they can do, it's worth having an x ray so you know what your dealing with. Say for example you have cracked a rib, another blow on it could break it and push the bone into your lung and trust me, that ain't funny.

Admitedly if you had broken a rib, you would almost certainly know about it, as believe me, the pain would be telling you and you would have probably heard it go at the time, so hopefully it's only bruised, but seriously get it checked out.
  • UPDATE - Just got back from the Docs (Thanks Medders for the push!)

Nothing broken (Thank God!!) just taken a massive battering, very badly bruised and will take at least 4-6 weeks to heal, been told to take Nurofen and see how that helps - if I'm still in bad pain in a few days then I will have to get strong ones from the doc.

No heavy lifting and nothing too strenuous! Yeah right I'm a PA!

Thank you all again for your advise.

Mx
  • Sponsored links:

• Glad they're not cracked Maria. I'm sure the doc told you but don't take neurofen on an empty stomach, particularly if you are taking it over a few days. It can cause stomach bleeding.
  • [cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]wimp

Thank you so much for your sympathy!! Git!

;o)

[cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]Glad they're not cracked Maria. I'm sure the doc told you but don't take neurofen on an empty stomach, particularly if you are taking it over a few days. It can cause stomach bleeding.

Yep - was told that - but thanks for telling me.... Don't really fancy stomache bleeding on top of this!

:o)

Mx