Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Good to see our politicians not be hypocritical

edited August 2007 in Not Sports Related
Gordon Brown says the prison officers and the rest of the public servants are not allowed to have more than 2% increase in the as it would affect the economy of the country. Oh so its allright for him and the other MP's to have large pay increases. And there was me thinking that the MPs or public servants aswell. T*sser$ the lot of them.

Comments

• No but theyre MPs so they dont count..............................
  • As my Grandad used to say "the only man to go into the Houses of Parlimant with good intentions was Guy Fawkes"
  • [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]As my Grandad used to say "the only man to go into the Houses of Parlimant with good intentions was Guy Fawkes"
    this thread could blow up any moment
  • why anyone would want to be a prison officer still baffles me.
  • Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie
    As my Grandad used to say "the only man to go into the Houses of Parlimant with good intentions was Guy Fawkes"

"this thread could blow up any moment"

Especially with "Sparkling" wit like that!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Gordon Brown says the prison officers and the rest of the public servants are not allowed to have more than 2% increase in the as it would affect the economy of the country. Oh so its allright for him and the other MP's to have large pay increases. And there was me thinking that the MPs or public servants aswell. T*sser$ the lot of them.[/quote]

Good knee jerk reaction stuff:

http://society.guardian.co.uk/health/story/0,,1743878,00.html

MPs did get a rise - of 2.8%, prison officers were offered 2.5%.
  • edited August 2007
    Sorry Blackforest i forgot about the expenses aswell and their basic salary is hardly peanuts compared to a nurse who I value more than any MP or any MEP or a regional assembly (Wales, Scottish, N. Irish) MP. Especially when more than 75% of our powers is decided by the European Commissioners.

It was not that long ago that the MPs wanted a pay rise to £100k.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Sorry Blackforest i forgot about the expenses aswell and their basic salary is hardly peanuts compared to a nurse who I value more than any MP or any MEP or a regional assembly (Wales, Scottish, N. Irish) MP. Especially when more than 75% of our powers is decided by the European Commissioners.[/quote]

All of which is true, but I was pointing out that pay rises for MPs have been about the rate of inflation.

Personally I'd pay nurses, prison staff etc more.
  • Don't forget they (MPs) can have a fag while drinking in their heavily subsidised bar...
  • Also nurses in England have had their 2.5% split into two payments which decreases the value whilst Scottish nurses got all their 2.5% in one go - which scots twat though that one up, could it be GB, who is a scot?
  • Sponsored links:

• Most people just need the pound in their pocket to buy today what it did the same as a year ago.
    With inflation, that's not going to happen.

So they expect their pay rise to keep pace with the general cost of living.

If their pay rise is deemed to be less than the 'configured' rate of inflation - it's effectively a pay cut.
  • edited August 2007
    Why should there be an inalienable right to increased pay? I have had to take pay cuts in my time when things were tough. There are all manner of jobs people can do, If they don't want to be prison officers, so if you don't like the conditions, go somewhere else. As for Nurses pay, well if we were given a vote, then we'd all vote to pay nurses a huge amount. At the end of the day most of us want public servants to be paid decently, then most vote for parties offering cuts in direct taxation. Nurses pay has risen significantly over the last ten years (rightly) but theres always a limit unless we want higher taxation. Why do MP's always come in for criticism regarding their pay and the hours worked? (You hear muppets like Jon Gaunt always moaning on about this). MP's spend a huge amount of time working outside of parliament on constituency business. My MP holds mobile surgeries each week in each of the major population centres of our constituency including throughout the summer. He works bloody hard.
  • nurses prison officers,i no who i think deserves a pay rise out of them two
  • What about nurses in prison hospitals?
  • And what about nurses in prison hospitals who are also MPs?
  • nurses anywhere get my vote,angels the lot of them,how anyone gets joy working as a prison officer,up there with baliffs and car clampers
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite] At the end of the day most of us want public servants to be paid decently, then most vote for parties offering cuts in direct taxation. Nurses pay has risen significantly over the last ten years (rightly) but theres always a limit unless we want higher taxation. .

Well said. The problem is that too many people vote for what they 'think' is right for them rather than what they know is right for society.
  • [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]And what about nurses in prison hospitals who are also MPs?

lol!!