Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 31st August 1968. Crystal Palace 3 Charlton 3

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
31st August 1968. Crystal Palace 3 (2) (C Taylor 43, Blyth 44, C Jackson 60) Charlton Athletic 3 (2) (Treacy 5, Tees 8, Campbell 65). Selhurst Park, Att: 22,991.

Palace: J Jackson, Sewell, Bannister, Payne, McCormick, Blyth, Lazarus, Kember, C Jackson, Woodruff, C Taylor. Unused sub: Corrigan.

Charlton: Wright, Curtis, Kinsey, Campbell, Keirs, Reeves, Gregory, Tees, Treacy, Moore, Bolland. Unused sub: Went.

Referee: H Williams (Sheffield)

Penalty from Gregory awarded against Bannister for a push on Treacy in the 61st minute hit the underside of the bar and was cleared.

Newpaper report from The Express:

Charlton sizzlers go top

By Bill Hagerty

C Palace 3 Charlton 3

In a duel to decide which of these two South London sides could be the likeleist promotion candidates this season, there was enough action to keep the fans talking for weeks.
Palace, two goals down in eight minutes, creaked badly at the back in the opening stages. – “Charlton caught us with our pants down” said manager Bert Head afterwards.
But some brilliant running by centre forward Cliff Jackson helped them to draw level.
Then it was the turn of Charlton’s defence to look as insecure as a one legged steeplejack. Palace could have collected another couple before the visitors at last rallied to make sure of the point that put them top.
And here’s the blow by blow account of the action.
5 mins. A Harry Gregory corner is headed powerfully past past goalkeeper John Jackson by Ray Treacy.
8 mins. Gregory again- this time a cross which Matt Tees heads home via Jacksons flailing hands.
43 mins. Cliff Jackson draws centre half John Keirs out of the middle and Colin Taylor runs through the gap to slip the ball past Charlie Wright.
44 mins. Bobby Woodruff takes a long throw-in that looks as long as the M1 and Mel Blyth, unmarked in the penalty area, volleys spectacularly into the roof of the net.
60 mins. Jackson slips the ball in after a Mark Lazarus cross has been helped on by Kember.
65 mins. Brian Kinsey clips a John McCormick clearance back to the unmarked Alan Campbell, who has time to gaze calculatingly around him before hooking his shot past Jackson.

Comments

• Options
    cheers H&A
  • Options
    I don't think Mr Hagerty ran the Booker prize winner close that year with quotes like "as insecure as a one legged steeplejack" AND "a long throw-in that looks as long as the M1"

I wonder how close that crowd will be to this Saturday's?
  • Options
    They forgot to mention that Palace mobbed up in a boozer by the biggest OB station in South London and claimed a result.
  • Options
    i was there...my first away match...i remember we were all in the holmesdale end and somebody had a drum (not sure where that came from and often wondered if had been acquired from a palace fan as it got smashed to bits and chucked onto the pitch)...the bit where the arthur waite is today was mostly a grass bank if i recall rightly...
  • Options
    .........and used to get muddy and slippery when it rained.

Remember the 2-0 FA Cup WIN at Selhurst in the rain later that same season?

When we scored, we danced around, lost our footing and slithered down the mudbank and landed in a big bundle on top of everyone at the bottom. LOL
  • Options
    Wasn't there for that one - it would still be some time before my first Croydon visit (to laugh at Palace losing to Bristol City), but the attendance and score could be pretty similar on Saturday. Surely we wouldn't throw away a 2 goal lead though!!! Are we gonna treat it like a home game and go for it?
  • Options
    The 2-0 win away in the cup was my first ever away game after the 2-2 at the Valley...fond memories and Ive still got the program...
  • Options
    A bit late in the week but still qualifies.
  • Options
    One for the oldies.
  • Options
    Everyone was at the Barnsley 5-3 in front of 4,000 or the Full members Cup 800 crowd games, a crowd of 23k and no takers strangely. Come on you old sods own up, who was at this one?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey that was my first away game as well, where has that 44 years gone
  • Options
    My 1st away game was Palace, but not until about 1974, when we lost 2-1, but Paddy Powell scored a 25 yarder with his left peg.
  • Options
    One of my first away games, seem to recall many of us were in their end
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

The Charlton 'boot boys' always took the Homesdale back in the day.
  • Options
    Gotta own up to this one. I was there and living just around the corner from the Palace ground at the time. Supported Charlton since 1955 and I so remember this game well. Can't believe it's 44 years ago, and the passion is just as great now as it was then.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

The Charlton 'boot boys' always took the Homesdale back in the day.
    Yes and i'm sure my boots weighed more than me at the time.
  • Options
    I was twelve years old and this was my first visit to Selhurst. I went by bus with my schoolfried and I had my scarfe nicked by a brave late teens/early twenties Nigel (Some things never change!) Undaunted we took up position right behind the goal at the Holmesdale end. Just before the game started the Holmesdale was invested by hundreds of Charlton supporters and I had the pleasure of seeing our Nigel running away with a bloodied mouth. I disapprove of football violence but he got what he deserved.

The game itself was a superb end to end affair which was characteristic of a great entertaining season. We played four games against Palace that season and didn't lose any of them but they finished second, one place ahead of us and got promoted.
  • Options
    Embarrassed to say was at this, and arrested. Unfortunately was 14 and got on big trouble with the old man. Remember following a bloke with big sideburns and a scarf covered in badges.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Embarrassed to say was at this, and arrested. Unfortunately was 14 and got on big trouble with the old man. Remember following a bloke with big sideburns and a scarf covered in badges.

Spanker?
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited August 2012
    Isn't this the season we ended up 3rd? (only 2 went up back then). Don't remember this one but do remember the 2-0 cup win at Selhurst later in the season (3rd round replay following a 0-0 at The Valley). The 4th round was away at Highbury which we lost but these two games always stick in my mind. Shared the North bank with Arsenal that day and what an atmosphere. And I remember the train home from Selhurst was a mess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw a load of charlton fans climbing over a wall to get in so decided to do the same ( better than giving them my money).
  • Options
    50 years ago on Friday. Any of the old buffers at the game?
  • Options
    I was, can’t believe it was 50 years ago !
  • Options

50 years ago on Friday. Any of the old buffers at the game?

50 years ??? how the fuck did that happen ?
  • Options
    Yes, I was there.

The result put us top of D2
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I was there, 2000 herberts marched from the Valley. reported in the Kentish Independent with a picture on the front page with a very young me in the middle. Unfortunately lost the paper many years ago. Initially we went in what is now the sainsbury end but saw pushing & shoving going on at the Holmesdale so everyone ran around. (the arthur waite had yet to be built) Strangely palarse disappeared, now there's a suprise :smile: 2-0 up, 3-2 down & I think Harry Gregory hit the bar with a penalty but possibly scored the equalizer with another pen. Happy days
  • Options
    I was there.
    That whole season was one of the standouts in our history.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I was there.
    That whole season was one of the standouts in our history.

Agreed but too many home draws cost us promotion
  • Options
    I was there. Remember the penalty miss even today!
  • Options
    I was there and was gutted we never went up that season.
    One of my all time favourite Charlton sides.