Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Centre of Defence & the crowd

I think we are all in agreement that Diawara looks a good signing.

Strong in the air, quick, tackles timed to perfection, pretty much all you can ask for even though it was only Watford (and how the hell has that Henderson fella managed to play Premiership football)

Yet on Saturday there were still gaps being left in the middle that better teams would have punished. Not just the Henderson chance, several others.

Difficult to change the side after a clean sheet but eventually I would like to see TEK replaced. At times he can look very comfortable on the ball but he does seem to dive in/misread the game a little too often for my liking.

I wonder what Dowie's thoughts are when Traore is back because he is a cert for me. Herman isnt in the best of form either so big big decisions to make.

On another point, I thought the crowd were great on Saturday. Maybe we all enjoy a bit of tension or are just a patient bunch but its great that we stuck at it and got behind the players. I cant say im a massive fan of the manager at the moment and there are many that feel the same, but now is not the time to get on his back. The club have backed him and so do we, changing the manager now will not serve any purpose.

They might all be big games at the moment but if we can nick a point in Geordieland next week the home match with Man City is going to be HUGE.

Comments

• Good post Southend.

Just my opinion, i think the long term answer will be Sorrondo. Dowie probably knows more about him than Curbs did, i think the intention will be a Diawara / Sorrondo pairing, that will allow one of them to get tight (probably Diawara, with the other covering the hole.

I think the two of them will work well together, with Diawara providing the strength and Sorrondo a bit of nous.
  • I could also live with HH and Diawara in the middle and Traore at left back. HH is too slow at left back these days and has the turning circle of an oil tanker. Diawara looks better with every game and reminds me of King Rufus.
  • I forgot about Sorrondo when posting earlier, Diawara and Sorond could be excellent.
  • Herman was a liability at centre half last season, I wouldn't play him there unless I had no option.

Sorondo may be the long term answer but could Diawara get the best out of Fortune in the same way Jorge Costa did?
  • Fortune also could work well with Diawara, yet i feel Sorrondo may just have the advantage on Fortune due to having improved ability with the ball at his feet. Just my opinion.
  • Wouldn't disagree with you AFKA, It's just that I'm starting to wonder whether Sorondo is another Rowet and we won't ever get a decent run of games out of him.
  • maybe not his fault, but i dread to think how much money he has earned all the time he has been injured. Bet its more than plumber charges an hour, and that's going some...
  • Don't forget we have yet to see Gibbs!!!
  • I've always thought HH plays well at centre-half....
  • Agree about HH he has lost some pace, shame cos I like him there not so much in the middle though.

R
  • Sponsored links:

• HH reminds me of a square robot, the amount of times he gets murdered for pace is unreal. He has become a liability IMO. Shame as i always been a fan of the he plays the game, no nonsense. Its time for him to move on with holland and hughes. (although holland played well sat)
  • Holland did do well on sat...and i dunno if it's been mentioned earlier - but that's the first time I can remember him being booked !!!
  • Yeah he actually got booked, and made a few tackles. Good on him, as he does get stick (i have give him stick b4 so i can say this) but for his service to Charlton you can only commend him.
  • Maybe Holland was playing it his level? and hasn't had a decent game for ages in my opinion.. would rather have Hughes.. eeek!