Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 22nd August 1998. Charlton 5 Southampton 0

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
Sat 22nd August 1998. Charlton Athletic 5 (1) (Robinson 3, Redfern 46, Mendonca 65 (pen), 81, 90) Southampton 0 (0) The Valley 16,488

Charlton: Ilic, Mills, Powell, Redfern, Rufus, Youds, Newton (Mortimer 78), Kinsella (K Jones 85), Hunt, Mendonca, Robinson. Unused subs: Brown, Petterson, S Jones.

Southampton: Jones, Dodd, Lundekvam, Dryden, Hiley, Ripley, Oakley (Howells 58), Palmer, Bridge, (Le Tissier 46), Ostenstad (Beatie 64), Hughes. Unused subs: Moss, Monkou.

Referee: Rob Harris (Oxford)

Sent Off: Saints keeper Paul Jones was ordered off for tripping Mendonca. New signing Howells went in goal as they had used all their subs leaving sub keeper Moss sitting on the bench.

Top: Charlton went top of the Premiership following this victory, having last been top of the old first division during the 36/37 and 37/38 seasons.

The new upper tier of the west stand remained closed for this game as it was not yet ready for use.

Comments

• Options
    unbelievable day, top flight footy at the valley for the first time in years
  • Options
    what a perfect day that was
  • Options
    Wonderfull first day of the season. Bright sunshine. It seemed that everyone had the new MESH shirt on that we'd worn in the play-off final less than 3 months earlier.
    I remember thinking what a great buy Redfern was on the way home :-O.

Did anyone else buy the T-shirt the club produced with the Sunday newspaper cuttings and a league table on the front? Still got mine somewhere.

CHARLTON ARE TOP!
  • Options
    what a disappointment Redfearn proved. We all thought it was a very astute signing at the time.
  • Options
    I remember it well the sun shone and the crowd sung "Can we play you every week"....good memories
  • Options
    The following day I went out and bought every different newspaper. They're stored safely in my loft. How sad is that?
  • Options
    and 12 years on.....
  • Options
    great day, great win, great hat-trick.
  • Options
    That was and still is my favourite Charlton team.
  • Options
    love it when they show this one on The Premiership Years - after goal No. 5 the camera homes right in on me in the Covered End sunshine going mental

always get a text from someone saying they've spotted me...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    E BLOCK covered end, before north upper existed, great atmosphere, great match. one of my favourite games.
  • Options
    I watched this on a big screen at the Dell with my wife and two sons. We were (obviously) the only Charlton fans there and when we scored we couldn't contain ourselves, well me and my sons anyway. It was absolutely brilliant going into work on the Monday as I had to put up with weeks of how Saints were going to slaughter us.

The theme music for Hawaii-five-o never sounded so good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]That was and still is my favourite Charlton team.
    Redfern?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]That was and still is my favourite Charlton team.
    Redfern?!

Yeah, ignore him, loved that side, may have even liked the team the following year in Div 1 slightly better.
  • Options
    change redfearn with Keithy Jones
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I was in the Jimmy Seed stand. Not sure where the Saints fans were! There was even a load of stunt planes over Docklands airport to add to the scintillating performance!
  • Options
    14 years and counting..
  • Options
    That was a great day
  • Options
    West stand, remember that amazing game!
  • Options
    *Rubbish crowd moan*
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    anyone got the footage on this would love to see it again?
  • Options
    I was sat in the Jimmy Seed for this, due to west-upper not open. Great day.................................

Can't remember, was it home support only, or was the JS split? I was dead centre front row.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    The last time I was in the JS stand in fact. Remember it being split but don't rely on my memory.
  • Options
    Wasn't it basically always split until we extended to the north upper? Except for the odd big cup game like Spurs 4-2 etc?
  • Options
    Think Saints had 1k but it could have been more. The JS was def split. I was West lower, back row! Remember Mark Hughes being a C**t. Super Clive hatrick again !!
  • Options
    Monlou is over in Holland now running a cafe over there
  • Options
    I was ball boy in the north west corner for this, amazing memories. Was there a DVD of this released ? I'm sure there was a video.
  • Options
    Remember the game well had to watch it on match of the day cause I had a season ticket in the jimmy seed stand but couldn't have my seat until the west upper was open. Great first season in prem having banter with away fans only separated by a line of stewards followed by heart brake at the end
  • Options
    I remember the day and what a result. I was on holiday in Florida at the time. Couldn't believe the 5-0.
  • Options
    Fantastic game! We flew back from Florida that morning and came to the game knackered but it kept us enthralled. My daughter who was 10 at the time, managed to sleep though most of the goals and never lived it down! We should have been in west upper but they put us in the Jimmy Seed until it was finished. Great start to the season.